Log #1




Capitan's Log


The bishop of Saint-Malo asked the French King, Francois I to sponsor a expedition to the new world and the bishop recommended me to lead the voyages to find a way west to the Pacific and claim new lands for France. I was recommended because I had already been out to Brazil and Newfoundland. I was lucky that the king accepted this and I will set sail from the French port of St. Malo on April 20, 1534 with two ships and 61 men. I am being sent to find specific islands where large amounts of gold are said to be. I am kind of scared of what I will find but exited to find new lands for my country. Before I go I want to write a little about my self just in case anything happens to me. I was born in 1491 CE and my parents are Jamet Cartier and Geseline Jansart. I belong to a respectable family of mariners which improved my social status when I married my beautiful wife Marie Catherine who is a member of a leading ship-owning family. I was born in St. Malo, France a beautiful land that fascinates me. I trained to be a sailor and navigator before I started my voyages. I also trained as a navigator in Dieppe, France. I went along with Giovanni Da Verazzano on his voyage in 1524 along the coast of America. This was while my home land was in war with Spain.



No comments: