Log #8

October 4, 1541

My prediction has become horribly true. The recent update from Canada is that over 50 of our settlers have died from disease, and a few from the Indians revolting as well. I recently appeared before a commission to plead for more money to send a ship to Robertval in Canada. With the current situation in this foreign land, I think that this man is worthy enough and has done enough good for France so that he may be allowed an escape from this hellish environment. Hopefully, he will return in safety. As I wished would happen, I am to say the least, have the popularity of a lord or duke because of my exploits. I have considered sailing again to Canada, but the chance of it is slim. My current medical condition is also conflicting with this. I feel warm and faint, and it is too strenuous to move over long distances or to be active. I believe my time here is soon to end, but I am glad to say that at least I have achieved something.

Until next time,

Jacques Cartier

No comments: