Log #7

June 28, 1542

Retreat was our only option. I was I high sprits about arriving in Canada, my previous exploits having been so successful that I thought that to repeat this was to be a simple task. Such is irony. When my crew and I arrived, the calm and good natured natives were hostile. They inquired about their king; Donnacona, and what has become o him after we took him back to France with us on out last voyage. I told them of his death, but also of his adoration of the country, which sadly I do not think existed. The Indians seemed then to form a façade of kindness, which was a mask for their contempt of us. I established a fort for our people, and then set out for the approval of the local Chieftains. I was able to secure faith with one tribe whom I have had past experiences with, but found it hard to coerce others into the idea of colonization. When I returned to my ships, I discovered there to be roughly 300 Indians surrounding them. I began to become suspicious of the chieftain I had allied with, these assumptions based on the obvious hint that the natives where hiding something. I was right. The natives had decided to betray us, and with only a limited amount of firepower and men, we did not stand too much of a chance. I gave instructions to our base of operations to be ready for an attack at any given time. I made plans to leave, whilst Robertval decided to remain for financial purposes. I think I have made a wise choice leaving, but I pray that those who remain will be in good health. I have an odd feeling that something will go awry quite soon.

Until next time,

Jacques Cartier

No comments: