Log #5

July 1, 1536

My crew and I are about one week away from the shores of France. We have seen many new exotic animals that include the walrus, the polar bear, and the belugas. On our voyage we got to the St. Lawrence River, once again, and this time we almost got all the way up the river. On my way up the river we set up trading posts, houses, and a fort at Stadacona. As our crew got to the shores of the New World the natives greeted us with open hearts. The natives that I met were under the leadership of Donnacona. When we were just about to leave I decided not to because it was extremely cold and there were many ice bergs in the water. We should have gone for the chance because since we stayed many of my crew got scurvy. When this happened the natives came and showed us a cure for scurvy. Is we left the shores of the New World I was able to get the captives, that I got on the first voyage, back on the ship. And I also got the Leader to come with us. When I see the king I am sure that will be very proud of me.

Jacques Cartier

No comments: