Log #6


May 23, 1541


I have recently departed from Saint Malo to head across the open waters to the new land. I have along with me 5 ships, each carrying supplies and surplus to trade with the Indians. This has proven to be quite profitable for France, being that we provide the foreigners with goods in exchange for gold and other valuables. My last voyage proved to be very profitable, myself attaining rare stones such as rubies and gold and selling them for a hefty profit. I am concerned for my personal wellbeing. I captured and educated some Indians from my last escapade so that they could serve as guides for our people who are traveling to Canada. The tribes that they were abducted from could retaliate at anytime, so I must be attentive. His royal majesty himself has assigned me the task of colonizing this primitive land, as to further expand and glorify France. I belive his resoning behind this is that of the land which Spain has recently obtained. I have no doubt in our lordship’s decision, but it is evident that jealousy is a factor in his choice. Our king, Frances I, gave the position of leadership to Jean Francois de la Rocque, whist I have been allotted to the Captain-General and the Master Pilot. These arraignments seem to be well suited, I have been to these lands before, and therefore know the terrain more accurately than Mr. de la Rocque. This journey will be proven to be success to France, and will enhance its and my reputation. Haha, next time I arrive at Saint Malo, I will showered with praise and affection for my deeds to our country. It seems we have drifted into a small squall, and so I am needed on deck.


Until next time,


Jacques Cartier


No comments: